Visa and Student Residency permit

Since June 1st 2009, the Long-stay Visa equivalent to a Residence Permit (VLSTS) allows you to remain in France without a residence permit for up to one year.

You must however follow the new procedures in order to validate your long stay student visa into a residence permit at the OFII office. You no longer have to go to the préfecture to apply for a carte de séjour, the procedure is henceforth simpler and more time efficient. Be reminded that this administrative process is obligatory and must be followed scrupulously. Failure to do so will render your long stay visa invalid and you will be considered by the French authorities as being an illegal immigrant despite your student status.

Who should apply for a student residence permit?

Non-EU students

All non-EU students studying in France for over three months are obliged to apply for a residence permit within three months after their arrival in the country.
The permit is valid for one year and can be renewed upon or near the expiry date.

Citizens of an European Union member state

No residence permit is required to work or study in France (exceptions for citizens of Romania and Bulgaria who need prior authorisation from the Prefecture to work).

Individualised help

A help desk is open every day from the end of August until the end of October, in the International Mobility Centre (IMC), to welcome you and help you settle in Rennes and to provide assistance with "residence permit" applications in partnership with the Préfecture of Ille-et-Vilaine. Gather all the necessary documents, as well as photocopies, and book your appointment online.

  • If you are a first time student in France arriving with a VLSTS visa
    You must have it validated by the French Immigration and Integration Agency (OFII: Office Français de l'Immigration et de l'Intégration) within three months of your arrival. The International Mobility Centre can assist you with this procedure via its help desk. 
  • If you do not have a VLSTS visa or have been residing in France for one year or more
    You no longer need to go to the Préfecture in person to apply for a residence permit renewal. The International Mobility Centre can do it for you. You will also be assisted in filling out the application form.
    Once the residence permit application has been registered, the Préfecture will deliver an application receipt to the International Mobility Centre, which will then be forwarded to you at your home address. 
  • If you are a student from an EU member state
    You do not need a residence permit, but the International Mobility Center team will be on hand at the "4 bis" to help you settle in Rennes and to sort out any problems regarding your stay.

Doing it on your own

Procedure must be completed within three months of your arrival in France.

  1. Duly fill and sign the original copy of the document “Demande d’attestation OFII” which was delivered to you at the French Consulate or Embassy in your home country.
  2. Make copies of your passport pages (the first page containing all your identification details, the page with your long-stay visa, the page with the French airport’s arrival stamp, your signature page), a copy of your student card and proof of address (tenancy agreement or attestation de logement).
  3. After verification, send the completed form and accompanying documents in a sealed envelope by registered post (Recommandé avec Accusé de réception) to the following address:

    OFII (Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration)
    110 rue de Vern
    35200 Rennes Cedex 09

Medical check-up

Upon reception of your documents, the OFII office will send you a letter by post confirming receipt of your documents. Within a few weeks, you will be sent a second letter inviting you for a medical check-up. The medical examination includes a general medical check-up, lung x-rays and vaccine verification.

For this appointment, please bring along with you the following:

  • Your official passport (not copies)
  • An ID photograph (full face and bare-headed)
  • Proof of your current address: tenancy agreement (bail) if you are in the private sector or attestation de logement if you are being accommodated in one of the student residence halls (request this document at the secrétariat).
  • An OFII stamp valued at 55 euros.
    This stamp can be bought at the official government website or at your local cigarette shop (tabac-presse).


CMI Rennes


Rennes International Mobility Center
Université européenne de Bretagne (UEB)
5 bd Laënnec - 35000 Rennes
Tel: +33 2 23 23 79 5
Fax: +33 2 23 44 84 55

International students
Julien Robic
Tel: +33 2 23 23 79 50